Prep time: 12 mins | Cook time: 8 mins | Total time: 20 mins | Servings: 4
Make this popular Thai chicken recipe anytime with this easy recipe. Throw this together in minutes and enjoy a plate of authentic Thai Basil Chicken in the comfort of your home.
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. chicken broth
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable, canola, or peanut oil
- 1–2 Thai or Serrano chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 c. Thai basil leaves, stem removed, loosely packed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
Step 1: Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and chiles to the wok and cook for about 20 seconds, stirring continuously. Then, add the ground chicken and continue to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, breaking the meat up into small chunks. Drain the excess liquid once the chicken is no longer pink.
Step 3: To the wok, add the onions and red bell peppers. Stir fry for about a minute before pouring in the sauce. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Lastly, add the basil, stir, and cook further until wilted and the chicken is completely cooked.
- You can use a mixture of 3 tbsp regular, low sodium, or lite soy sauce with a pinch of granulated or brown sugar if the sweet soy sauce is not available.
- For this recipe, you can use regular basil (Italian basil) in place of Thai Holy Basil or sweet basil (aka Thai basil).
- Feel free to chop the basil if desired or leave them whole.
- For presentation, garnish the dish with some fresh basil leaves.
Calories: 311 kcal (16%) | Carbohydrates: 20g (7%) | Protein: 21g (42%) | Fat: 16g (25%) | Saturated Fat: 8g (50%) | Cholesterol: 98mg (33%) | Sodium: 967mg (42%) | Potassium: 749mg (21%) | Fiber: 1g (4%) | Sugar: 13g (14%) | Vitamin A: 1275IU (26%) | Vitamin C: 48.5mg (59%) | Calcium: 32mg (3%) | Iron: 1.4mg (8%)
- White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce:
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 c. dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 lbs fresh cod, cut into 4 fillets (or four 6-oz. fillets)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce:
Step 1: In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the crushed red pepper flakes and garlic to the pan and saute for about a minute or until the garlic is aromatic. Next, add the cherry tomatoes and continue to cook for another 9 to 12 minutes, stirring often, until soft and blistering, but still hold their form. Then, pour in the white wine, stir, and let everything come to a gentle simmer before stirring in the basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, sugar, and pepper. Cook for additional 2 minutes. Into a bowl, transfer the sauce when done, and set aside.
Step 2: In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. In the meantime, pat the cod dry using paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper. Once the oil is hot, add the cod to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side for additional 3 to 4 minutes or until completely cooked.
Step 3: Over the cod, pour the white wine, tomato basil sauce and allow the sauce to warm up for about 1 minute.
Step 4: Take the pan off the heat and serve the cod immediately. Enjoy!