This year the zucchini is growing really nicely. I have one recipe for zucchini bread so that I could make use of the abundant supply of zucchini, but I found myself also craving chocolate. So I added cocoa and that’s how I came up with this recipe.
Cook time: 55 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 12.
- 2 ½ c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ c butter or margarine
- ¼ c oil
- 1 ¼ c sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ c sour milk or buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c zucchini, grated
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- breadcrumbs, enough to coat pan
- 1 c chocolate chips
- 1 c almonds or walnuts, chopped
- ½ c brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Cream butter, oil and sugar. Beat in eggs and set aside.
2. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with sour milk to creamed mixture. Add zucchini and vanilla. Slowly mix in apple.
3. Grease a bundt cake pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
4. Pour cake batter into prepared bundt cake pan.
5. Mix topping ingredients and spread evenly on the cake batter. Bake for 55 minutes.