Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 35 mins | Total Time: 50 mins | Yield: 12 to 16 Servings
I am so excited to share this recipe with you today! This Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake is something that the whole family is going to love! The combination of all the flavors is just perfect! Surprise everyone with this one-of-a-kind cake. Enjoy!
- 2 c (256 grams) all-purpose flour (set aside 1/4 c of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I like 1.25 teaspoons)
- zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 Egg, room temperature
- 2 c fresh blueberries, picked over
- ½ c buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ c (8 tbsp | 4 ounces | 113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c (214 grams) sugar (set aside 1 tbsp for sprinkling)
- Prepare the oven and preheat it to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Add sugar (minus 1 tbsp for later use) and lemon zest into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until well incorporated.
- Add vanilla and egg, then beat again until well incorporated.
- In another bowl, add 1/4 cup of flour and blueberries. Toss to coat.
- In another bowl, add the rest of the flour, salt, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer 1/2 of the flour mixture into the bowl with the batter and stir to combine. Stir in the buttermilk, blueberries, and flour.
- Apply cooking spray to the inside of an 8-inch square baking pan. You can also line it with parchment paper if you prefer.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the reserved sugar on top.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 35 to 45 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to rest at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container, then put them in the fridge.
- You can make this the night before. Just cover the batter and place it in the fridge. Bake it the next day.
- Make sure not to use frozen berries. They should be thawed completely.