Enjoy summer all year round with this delicious homemade cobbler packed with tasty blackberries! I love to use fresh fruit, but you can also use frozen berries. Serve this cobbler with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a special dessert that you deserve!
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 c. fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blackberries (do not use blueberries)
- 1 c. Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 c. milk
- Cream, whipped cream, or ice cream, if desired
- 1/2 tsp salt
Step 1: Place the sugar and blackberries in a medium-sized bowl. Mix well and allow this to sit for about 20 minutes or until you have a fruit syrup.
Step 2: Prepare the oven. Preheat it to 375 degrees.
Step 3: Place the salt, milk, flour, and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix well, then whisk in the melted butter until well blended.
Step 4: Pour the mixture into an ungreased 8-inch square pan, evenly spreading the mixture. Over the batter, spoon the blackberry mixture.
Step 5: Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 45 to 55 minutes or until dough rises and the top of the cobbler is golden.
Step 6: Remove from the oven when done and serve the blackberry cobbler warm with cream. Enjoy!
- To make a basic blackberry cobbler dough: Mix the dough with a light hand. This will ensure the dough will rise through the berry mixture and guarantee the cobbler will have a light texture. Make sure to mix until just the dry ingredients are moistened.
- For an aromatic edge, you can add half tsp of warm baking spice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, or cardamom. If you want to enhance the natural sweetness of the berries, stir 1 tsp of pure vanilla into the berries.
- For a different flavor, try adding raspberries to the blackberries.
- For a fresh flavor twist, mix grated lemon or lime zest with the fruit before baking.