Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Total time: 45 mins | Servings: 4
Easily throw together this outstanding Spinach Madeline with this easy recipe. An impressive twist on the traditional creamed spinach with a kick. Enjoy this Spinach Madeline with any of your meals for a complete weeknight dinner that everyone will love!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained (with drained liquid reserved)
- 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped finely (about ½ c.)
- ½ c. milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ c. spinach cooking liquid
- ¾ tsp celery salt
- ¾ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ c pepperjack cheese, for topping
- ¾ c. pepper jack cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Step 1: Prepare the oven. Preheat it to 425 degrees F. Using nonstick cooking spray, grease a 1.5-quart baking dish, and set aside.
Step 2: In a microwave-safe container, place the uncooked frozen spinach and cook without extra liquid. Strain the cooked spinach over a bowl or a liquid measuring cup. Set the cooking liquid aside.
Step 3: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion to the skillet once the oil is simmering. Cook until softened, stirring constantly.
Step 4: Stir the measured flour into the onions until the onions are coated. Cook for a couple of minutes until the flour starts to turn golden brown.
Step 5: Gradually pour in the milk followed by the spinach liquid while constantly stirring until the sauce has thickened. Then, add the Worcestershire along with the celery salt, garlic salt, and black pepper. Adjust the kosher salt according to taste.
Step 6: Take the pan off the heat. Quickly add in 3/4 c pepper jack cheese and the cooked, drained spinach. Stir well and pour everything into the prepared baking dish. On top, sprinkle the extra pepper jack.
Step 7: Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the cheese has browned.
Step 8: Serve the Spinach Madeline right away. Enjoy!
- Easily double or triple the recipe if feeding a huge crowd.
- To make this Spinach Madeline in advance, prep as directed and transfer the dish into the prepared baking dish. DO NOT BAKE instead cover and store in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. Once ready to serve, simply bake as directed.
YIELD: 4 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 236 | TOTAL FAT: 17g | SATURATED FAT: 7g | TRANS FAT: 0g | UNSATURATED FAT: 9g | CHOLESTEROL: 30mg | SODIUM: 955mg | CARBOHYDRATES: 11g | FIBER: 3g | SUGAR: 1g | PROTEIN: 12g