This hearty Beef and Barley Soup is an amazing soup that you can make easily at home. Delicious, filling, and great to serve with a crusty baguette, buttered biscuits, or dinner rolls. Perfect for the chilly season or if you are feeling under the weather.
- 2 c. cooked flank steak or chuck steak – cut into 1” pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14-15 ounces, undrained
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 6 c. reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package beef gravy mix
- 2/3 c. pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons red wine (optional, but makes the broth exceptional)
Step 1: Heat the olive in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the steak to the pot and cook until all sides are browned. Then, add the onions along with the garlic and continue to cook until tender.
Step 2: To the pot, add the rest of the ingredients and bring everything to a boil. Decrease the heat, put the lid on, and simmer for about 40 to 50 minutes until the barley is cooked.
Step 3: When done, discard the bay leaf. Serve the soup hot. Enjoy!
- You can add extra broth if the soup has thickened too much until you reach your preferred consistency.
- If using ground beef instead of steak, make sure to drain the grease after browning the meat.
- Serve this soup with a crusty baguette, buttered biscuits, or dinner rolls.
- For this recipe, you can add other vegetables such as peas and green beans.
- To make this soup in a crockpot, sear the meat, then cook the onions. Place them in the crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients. Set to cook on high for 4 hours or 8 hours on low.
- If desired, you can swap the barley with couscous.
- This soup is a great freezer meal. You can store this in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Pearl barley takes 25 to 30 minutes to cook. However, if using hulled barley, cook them for 40 to 50 minutes.